LeasePlan Information Services (LPIS) are now hiring for a Java Developer with strong Java programming skills together with excellent problem solving and solution design skills. The candidate should be capable of on-time delivery, have excellent communication abilities, and a positive get-it-done attitude.
The Applications Support department is responsible for the development, maintenance and support of applications for the LeasePlan Group wherein the Java Developer will be responsible for implementing technical Java-centric technical solutions as part of the Java team.
- Disciplined approach to Java software development / coding.
- Working in second-line support for application incidents, resolving incidents by putting in place workarounds to enable the business to continue functioning and by implementing bug fixes if necessary.
- Specifying changes and implementing these changes to resolve recurring problems within software applications.
- Advising in the analysis of business requirements and the selection of technical solutions for small developments, executing these small developments and carrying out enhancements on software applications, to solve business problems and enhance functional performance to satisfy internal customers.
- Working to agreed timelines to deliver high quality software solutions together with technical documentation.
- Working closely with business and technical subject matter experts to understand functional requirements that can be distilled into technical specifications.
- Participating in technical design/code reviews to help establish and promote best practice and guidelines.
- Comply and adhere to all operational support processes.
- Develop and maintain support documentation in accordance with company standards.
- Specifying changes to resolve defects or recurring problems within applications. Carry out application improvements, to yield fault-free and robust Java applications.
- Continuously adopt a pro-active approach to ensure application reliability and availability.
- Selecting the best solution for the internal customer maintaining a balance between price and quality.
- Developing test plans, documentation and testing, to continuously improve the application.
- Assisting business users during the acceptance test of the software to ensure the application runs with optimal performance and customers are satisfied.
- Document and deliver documentation on the lessons learned and problem analysis of incidents that happen.
- Following Change Management and Quality Assurance processes to ensure full compliance with the LeasePlan Software Development Lifecycle process and standards.
- Provision of work item estimates and weekly status reporting to line manager.
- Managing administrative duties, such as Clarity Time Recording, LANDesk (Service Desk) ticket documentation effectively and in a proactive way
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Significant business knowledge and direct experience of developing enterprise Java applications.
- 5 years minimum in the development of JAVA/J2EE applications.
- Experience with J2EE frameworks such as Spring and Apache Struts 2.
- Experience with deployment and administration of J2EE Application Servers and Frameworks, e.g. Tomcat, JBoss, Spring Security etc.
- Strong knowledge of Object-Oriented concepts, Design Patterns and UML.
- Working knowledge of build tools like Maven and Ant.
- Experience with relational databases (DB2) and JDBC / SQL.
- In-depth understanding of Java web development including JSP/Servlets.
- In-depth knowledge of development tools such as Eclipse, ANT, Subversion, JUnit.
- Familiar with concepts of versioned software and software development lifecycles.
- Creative thinking and able to work within an agile project approach.
- Flexible, with ability to work on own initiative to bring assigned work to fruition.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, decision-making, and communication skills.
- Have high standards, good attention to detail and a methodological work process.
- Self-starter who works well under pressure and is a team player.
Knowledge and Experience of the following is desirable:
- iBatis Framework.
- JAXB (XML interfaces based on XSD).
- IBM Websphere Studio Application Developer (or similar tool).
- IBM Websphere Application Server v5, v6 & v7.
- IBM Websphere MQ.
- Software development tools like Hudson and Jira.
- Knowledge of webservices.
- Oracle's ATG Web Commerce.
Education and Qualifications
- Degree educated or experience led equivalent.
- ITIL foundation.
- A recognised technical qualification.
- Demonstrable understanding and several years’ experience of applications management requirements
Please apply here.